Sunday, April 25, 2021

Bountiful Morel Harvest

 Last year I found a spattering of morel mushrooms, and this year I was thinking might be the same. I went to my spots, and found one or two, here and there. It's still early, and yet...you never really know with morels, and mushroom hunting in general. Had I lost the magic?

On Friday I went back to one of my spots and found three small morels. Oh well. I decided to go on a hike afterward. A slow hike, of course, all the while looking out for morels. I found one half-free, and then veered into the woods. 

Eventually I ran into a bird watching group, and as I had my binoculars with me, I joined them for a stretch. 

Then my trail turned uphill so we parted ways. I sat and had my breakfast, overlooking a beaver dam.

After breakfast I made my way up the hill, and back toward where I had parked. At this point I was three hours into my walk. But then, finally, I saw what I was looking for!



And another, and another, and another!


I finally came upon a new patch of large yellow morels: eighteen in total. I was elated!

I invited a friend over, and we figured out how start up my grill, which had been dormant all last year.

I marinated the morels in a mix of olive oil, tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), rice vinegar, crushed garlic, ginger powder, and liquid smoke. Then I threaded them onto a wooden skewer, making kabobs with cherry tomatoes, red onions, and zucchini.

They were delicious!

I hope you are having a successful year finding morels, or whatever it is you are looking for.

Stay healthy, stay safe. 

Love to you all,

Melissa

Please stay in touch: sign up for my monthly newsletter!

Have you seen our Food Under Foot full-color digital magazine? The April issue is all about morels and spring mushrooms! You can get it by becoming a patron on our patreon page, or buy it directly from Amazon/Kindle.



No comments:

Post a Comment