Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Recipe: Puffball Nuggets

puffball mushroom
Calvatia gigantia - Giant Puffball Mushroom
 Giant Puffball! So exciting and fun to find!!

girl holding puffball


Here is my friend Trish last year on our bike to DC, finding some:

woman with puffball

And yet, with their marshmallow-like inside, the texture when cooked (sauteed) is not the best. Sort of mushy and lackluster...not really my favorite mushroom. 

That is, until today!

breaded puffball nuggets

I found if you put the crunch on the outside, it doesn't matter so much if it's soft on the inside. In fact, it's better that way!

Because I am doing a vegan oil-free type diet right now (a la Forks Over Knives) I knew I didn't want to saute these in oil or butter. But what else could I do?

That's when the old noggin took over and voila, deliciousness was born. These are such tasty puffball nuggets I am hoping I find more out there this season!

Recipe: Puffball Nuggets

vegan, gluten-free, oil-free

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.

2. Get two bowls. In one, put tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) and water in equal amounts. In the second, make the "breading."

Breading 1


  • rice chex-type cereal
  • nutritional yeast
  • black pepper
  • dried basil
  • dried thyme
  • dried parsley
  • dried cilantro


Crush the cereal and mix everything together. You can add or omit spices as you have them or to your taste. I did not put salt in because the tamari is salty.

Breading 2:


  • blue corn chips 
  • nutritional yeast
  • cumin
  • tumeric
  • dried coriander
  • chili powder
  • cayenne pepper


Again, mix and match spices as you like. I was going for a Mexican theme with the corn chips. You can also use yellow or white corn chips. Crush corn chips (I used a spice/coffee grinder) and mix with spices and nutritional yeast.

3. Now, take your puffball:


  • Slice it 
  • Peel it (peel the outer skin away from the marshmallow-y inside, it easily comes off, but you can also cut it off if you want. I peel each slice rather than trying to peel the whole mushroom before I've cut it!)
  • Cut it into "nugget" or "finger" sized pieces


4. Take each piece and first dip into the tamari mixture:

cut mushroom

5. Then dip it into breading:
mushroom and breading
6. Place onto a tray covered with parchment paper:

mushrooms on tray

7. Bake 18 minutes, flip pieces over and bake another 15 minutes.

8. Enjoy!!! You will! They are so good!!

I preferred Breading 1:

breaded nuggets
While my husband preferred Breading 2:

breaded nuggets
Now... to find more giant puffballs!
woman with mushroom
Happy foraging!

~ Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment