Friday, November 20, 2020

Wait, Are Those The Little Yellow Balls That Stink? (Eating Gingko Nuts)

 

ginkgo nuts
(image from pixabay.com)

This was the year that I actually ate gingko nuts. I posted about it on my facebook page, and also the food under foot facebook page, and immediately one of my friends asked, "Wait, are those the little yellow balls that stink?"

Indeed, they are.

And that is why I have always avoided trying them. But this year, a couple things changed. First, for some reason, when I looked down among all the fruit on the ground, there were some nuts that had already naturally separated from their stinky fruit covering. Second, while wearing a mask, the stink was substantially lessened.

I scooped a handful of the nuts up, put them in my pocket, and headed home to watch videos on how to prepare, cook, and eat gingko nuts.

I brought them home and rinsed them as best as I could. It had been a few days until I got to them....and I learned that the nuts should actually have been kept in the refrigerator in the interim. They had not, but our house is quite chilly and it was only a couple days, so I think it was ok.

ginkgo nuts
I decided I would prepare them three different ways, to try three methods of cooking and seeing which worked best, and which tasted best in the end. So first, I cracked a few of the shells and put those nuts on a baking tray, to bake at 350 F for 12 minutes. Then I cracked some and completely took them out of their shells. These I would saute in oil. Finally the ones still in the basket: those I would saute in oil right in their shells, which would cause the shell to burst open and the nut to explode forth, bright and green.

preparing ginkgo nuts

I cracked the shells of these nuts, and put them in the oven at 350 for 12 minutes:

 

seven ginkgo nuts

These nuts were being sauteed in oil, in uncracked shells:

ginkgo nuts in pan

They exploded just as they were supposed to!

cooked ginkgo nuts

Here are the uncooked shelled nuts, ready to be sauteed:

precooked ginkgo nuts
When they are cooked they turn bright green: 

cooked ginkgo nuts

The three piles of cooked nuts: First: sauteed in their shell, second: sauteed without their shell, third: cracked and baked (then removed from shell after being baked):

cooked ginkgo nuts

 They were all non-stinky, and incredibly delicious. I enjoyed the baked nuts best, but it was close, they all tasted very good.

CAUTION: Gingko nuts should not be consumed in large quantities. Even cooked, they contain toxic compounds that can lead to headaches, dizziness, even seizures. It is recommended adults eat no more than 10 at one time, children should not have more than 5.

See gingko nuts prepared in South Korea where they are a common street food:


If you are interested, check out yesterday's post on tincturing the golden gingko leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment