Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Finding Morels By Following A Trail of Tulip Poplar Petals


April 24 is my wedding anniversary! It has become a tradition for me and Dave to look for morels on our anniversary. This year was no exception and our search was not in vain.

I thought I'd share with you a tip on how we hone in on where to look for morels, so I made the little video (above). We love looking for morels around tulip poplar trees. Tulip poplars are great big trees that grow straight up for a long time before you see branches. Their leaves' shape always reminds me of pokeman. So when I'm walking around looking down (to find mushrooms) and I start seeing petals from the flowers way on top of the tulip poplar trees, I know I'm in a good area.

tulip poplar flower
Photo by Bruce Marlin, Wikimedia Commons
Today we found a bunch of morels. I sauteed them with onions and spinach, then topped our pizza with them (only half the pizza, as my daughter doesn't like morels...!)

morel mushroom

pizza

pizza slice

Hope you are able to get out into the woods and find some morels of your own!

~ Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment