Dandelions! Dandelion flowers aren't as bitter as the green leaves, and they are easier to harvest and use than the root. I like to put dandelion flower petals (I remove the green collar, see below) in all kinds of batter: pancake, scone, cookie, you name it!
Last year my daughter and I made this delicious Dandelion Tea Cake: it's a sweet bread, like zucchini bread but with dandelion flowers. We made ours gluten-free and dairy-free...and it was delicious!
Perfect served with honey and tea.
The first step is to gather lots of dandelion flowers.
Next, remove and compost the green collar, saving the yellow flower petals, until you have 1 1/2 cups.
Then, gather your ingredients and put it all together.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour (I ground buckwheat grouts in a coffee grinder)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups dandelion petals
- 1 mashed banana with drizzle olive oil (I used in place of 1/4 c veg oil)
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup cashew milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- preheat oven to 400 F
- mix dry and wet ingredients separately (dandelion petals with dry ingredients) then mix together
- Pour into oiled loaf pan. bake 25 minutes on 400 F
- turn down to 350 F and bake 20 more minutes.